All of the rights manufacturing workers now enjoy were won in campaigns by the AMWU during our 161 year history.
These achievements include:
- Occupational Health and Safety Laws;
- Workers' Compensation;
- Long Service Leave;
- Annual Holidays;
- The Award System to secure minimum entitlements for all workers;
- Parental leave;
- Paid sick leave;
- Paid Public Holidays;
- 38 hour week;
- Penalty rates for overtime and weekend work;
- An end to bonded apprenticeships;
- The right to be paid for attending TAFE;
- Improved apprentice pay rates;
- Redundancy entitlements
- Appropriate workplace amenities including lunch rooms, showers, change rooms and lockers; and
- Bereavement and carer's leave and much more.
These are great achievements, but employers, their organisations and conservative governments never stop trying to take them away.
Today, the AMWU works harder than ever so that these conditions can be protected and we can continue to stick up for the needs of our members and their families.